Sunday, February 13, 2005

Video: SpaceCamp

When I typed "Space Camp" into the Internet Movie Database, it gave me a Mary Kate and Ashley movie. So, for future reference "SpaceCamp" is one word. Who knew?

SpaceCamp is a movie that always reminds me of a conversation I had one night in college. I don't know why. I am not even sure if we were discussing the movie. But we must have been... I think I was thinking of a different movie, though, because this was not the one I was expecting.

It is a good little 80s flick. Seeing movies like this (from 1986) make me realize how much more mature movie plots have gotten even for kids. Anyone seen Catch that Kid? There is a world of difference! It is kind of neat to see how movies progress - you see it in television, too. You KNOW that Full House would completely flop if it was a new series today.

The thing that struck me most in this movie was the portrayal of weightlessness. I want to know how they did it - was it just a lot of slow motion acting and pretending that things were floating? I think it must be, because everyone's hair follows the rules of gravity - to me, that is a dead giveaway.

Anyway, if you are feeling nostalgic for the simpler days, go get SpaceCamp. You can see, too, how much Leaf Phoenix looks like his brother, Joaquin. Wait! It's the same person!!

Oh, and of course the requisite 'hi-tech' robot that talks like a human and looks like a metal playground ball with legs.

NASA #1: How the hell am I supposed to keep a lid on this? People for 500 miles know the shuttle went up.
Commander Zach Burkstroom: Tell them the truth. You sent my wife and five kids up from Spacecamp. They'll never believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home