Monday, January 10, 2005

Theater: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

January 9.

Ahhh, Wes Anderson, you done me wrong. You done me wrong. Is there a piece of perfection more beautiful than the sardonically sedate Royal Tenenbaums? Can anything else give you that little thrill of 'being-in-the-know'-ness than appreciating Bottle Rocket? Ca-caw!

If these questions are applied to Steve Zissou, the answer would be a resounding "no." Maybe a half-hearted no, rather. Cause that's how I felt when I left the theater. Half-hearted. I had really wanted to like Steve Zissou, nay, to LOVE Steve Z. Alas, alack. And Alaska. It didn't quite hit the spot for me.

It had all the requisite Anderson quirkisms. Fantastic music (this time a Portuguese homage to David Bowie). An excellent eye for detail (like the water-splashed hand-written index card saying 'Sea Water Analysis' in the background of one scene). Deadpan delivery of lines. And things that just don't quite exist (fluorescent snapper, etc.)

I can't quite pick out what I didn't love about Steve Zissou. I have to wonder of course, why Owen Wilson doesn't have writing credit on this one (just who is Noah Baumbach?) as he did in the others. Is Owen the magic? And why was the other Wilson brother not in this latest epic? Perhaps Luke holds the magic key.

Now, don't get me wrong. I appreciate Wes Anderson's new movie. Truly, I do. Bill Murray does great. Angelica Huston is flawless. Cate Blanchett does a good job of trying to fit into the quirky Anderson world. And Owen Wilson, of course... I do heart Owen Wilson (doesn't he have just the best nose in the world?)

Sigh... It just wasn't perfect and I had wanted perfect.

Scientist: [regarding the shark Zissou is hunting] What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?
Steve Zissou: Revenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home