Saturday, January 08, 2005

Video: Napoleon Dynamite

In contrast to Maria, I have seen Napoleon listed on both 'best' and 'worst' lists for 2004.

My knee-jerk response is to love it, because it has that whole disaffected-youth-with-unprovoked-anger-simmering-just-below-the-surface thing going on.

But that was on first watching. Watching it again, time number two, I'm a bit less enamored. I love the attitude of it all. I really like Jon Heder's passive-explosive performance. He seems to attack everything - including the juice bottle, all while speaking in that monotone drone. It's great! But... plot? Did it get lost somewhere? I understand the appeal of the no-plot plot, but this movie seems to have too much plot to fit the non-plot category. The plot just gets lost somewhere. (But I think I found it in this paragraph! I apologize for the overuse of the word 'plot.')

My FAVORITE thing, though, is when Pedro shaves off all his hair because his head is hot. That makes me laugh every time I think of it. Who hasn't wanted to do that (or something similar) on one occasion or another?

All in all, I'm glad I saw the movie, to see what all the hype was about. I would definitely not object to seeing it again in the future, but I probably wouldn't be the one pulling the box off the shelf.

Kid on Bus: What are you gonna do today, Napoleon?
Napoleon Dynamite: Whatever I feel like I wanna do, gosh!

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Spencer Carson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Spencer Carson said...

Sry my last post screwed up. had to delete it.Gosh so annoying.

Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Napoleon Dynamite: Since when, Kip? You have the worst reflexes of all time.
Kip: Try and hit me, Napoleon.
Napoleon Dynamite: What?
Kip: I said come down here and see what happens if you try and hit me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home