Saturday, January 08, 2005

Video: Maria Full of Grace

I spent the week seeing mostly Spanish-speaking patients, so this movie made a fitting ending (being that it is in Spanish, thankfully with English subtitles).

I've seen it listed on many people's Top Ten list for 2004. Would I agree? Well... yes and no. It was truly a beautiful movie, and not really what I was expecting. I think the acting was phenomenal. Catalina Sandino Moreno is beautiful and convincing as a girl who really gets in over her head as a 'mule' - transporting cocaine from Colombia to the US in her stomach. The supporting actors were all good, too. Sometimes I could even understand the Spanish, which made it all even more enjoyable.

All that said, I don't think I'd add it to my list of top movies... Why? Because I couldn't really identify with Maria at all. I don't understand the circumstances that she lives in and can't figure out why she does the things she does. I don't think this is due to a lack of skill on the director's or actor's part. Much to the contrary, I am just not the kind of person who could ever do such a thing. Ain't no giant pellets of drugs going down MY throat.

It all just made me feel kind of like a bad person sitting here while there really is that kind of stuff going on in the world. I guess I'm just too selfish to put this movie on a 'best of' list.

On the wall behind Maria in the last scene: It's what's inside that counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home